Its name was Casalicchio until 1893. It was maybe founded around year 1000. The first inhabitants were the Greek monks that settled in Marina hamlet.
After XI century population moved to the hills because of malarial fever and Saracen invasions. Casal Velino was an autonomous University (a municipality) until 1806.
The name Casal Velino comes from the Latin “casalis litus”, that is “hamlet on the port”.
The town belonged to the Abbey of Cava de' Tirreni between 1410 and 1973 and then passed to that of Vallo della Lucania.