Monuments and natural beauties...

  • SS. Pietro e Paolo Church, only some ruins remain and a part of the stone bell tower
    San Giovanni Battista Church, in the main altar there are the relics of Saints Gaudenzio, Modesto and Crescenzio
    Santa Maria della Croce Chapel. The name comes from a precious relic of Christ Cross kept in the chapel. Many pilgrims always came to this chapel, in those occasions around the chapel there was also a fair. It became a periodical market called “nundinae” that the was transformed in the very famous “fora de S. Marie de Cruce”
    Santa Maria degli Angeli Chapel. It has a square shape, there are no windows and under the side walls there are stone seats. In the niche on the altar that is decorated with Baroque stuccoes there is a small polychrome statue of the Virgin with the Child. On the roof of the chapel there is the bell cell
    Santa Sofia Chapel. It has a square shape and on the roof there is the bell cell. Inside there are no works of art apart from a painting on the main altar with the saints considered the protectors from plagues: Santa Sofia, San Rocco, San Sebastiano and San Gaetano da Thiene
    Sant’Elia Chapel, it was abandoned in 1860 and transformed into a cattle shed. Saint Elias was considered the Saint of the rain, so rural people were very devoted to him. Each year, on the 20th of July pilgrims went in procession from Stio and Magliano to the chapel and they brought a small wood statue of the Saint. The statue has disappeared. Together with the statue also a “cinto re santo Lio” was brought. It was a long interwoven wire, full of wax. This wire was put around the chapel and then it was left there to dissolve. This procession was made until the beginning of XX century

History...

The name comes from the Latin “Aestivus” maybe meaning the summer pastures.

During Neolithic Age around 10.000 shepherds from Paestum plain, came to Stio. Documents tell about the presence of some inhabitants called Ausoni and Enotri by Romans. Then, there were the Lucani in V-IV century b.C. They gave their name to the area included between Sele and Bussento Rivers and Tirreno and Jonio seas. There are many finds of this period, they were found in the archaeological site of “Chiano Rosario-Casalicchio”. The finds make scholars think that this was a stable community, not a seasonal one. Maybe this community was still alive during Roman age in fact the term Casalicchio comes from “casalicolum” (small hamlet).

Around XI century Stio belonged to Magliano State, with three other Universities (that is municipalities): Magliano Vetere, Capizzo and Gorga. Each of them had its own seal: the seal of Stio was made of three hammers on a lion. In 1771 the University of Stio started to quarrel with the other three, because it stated that since the number of the inhabitants was the highest of the four, it paid more taxes and so it was more important. But the other three didn't agree.


 

Video

 

Weather forecast