The town has an archaic aspect. It is made of four hamlets: San Giovanni, Amalafede, Guarrazzano and Droro.
The name of this town was mentioned for the first time in XI century, it indicated a valley.
Palazzo Ventimiglia – Luongo is very interesting, it is partly in ruins; Palazzo Vassallo is very interesting, too with its stone portal and the small towers. It was called "castle" because with its position it represented a defence for the houses.
In Stella Cilento there is the annual singing competition, Concorso di San Giovanni.
Monuments and natural beauties...
- Palazzo Ventimiglia – Luongo, it is partly in ruins
San Nicola di Bari Church
San Rocco Chapel
SS. Pietro e Paolo Church
Palazzo Vassallo is very interesting, with its stone portal and the small towers. It was called "castle" because with its position it represented a defence for the houses
San Giovanni Battista Church
Santa Maria Maddalena Church
Sant’Antonio da Padova Church
The name of this town was mentioned for the first time in XI century, it indicated a valley. This are was chosen by the fugitives from Torricella that had been destroyed.
Until 1871 this town was called Porcili (this name appears for the first time in a document of 1187) because of its position, it comes from the Greek pro and kyrios, that is “in front of the lord”. In fact on Monte Stella there was the residence of the “Guastaldo”. Porcili belonged to the Barony of Cilento and to Sanseverino feuds, then it was ruled by Capano family and in 1617 by Lutio Materazzi. In 1783 it was bought by Antonio Cesare Ventimiglia.
San Giovanni hamlet (the name maybe was chosen because the first inhabitants were devoted to Saint John) was founded around 1225, when the inhabitants of Monte Cilento moved to this area.
Amalafede hamlet, called also Bonafida, was founded by people escaping from the plague of 1348.
Guarrazzano hamlet (it was a Longobard castle and the name keeps the root of the Longobard word “waldo” that is “wood”) was founded during Longobard period.
Droro is called also “U’ Paese re i Maistri re cofana e canistri”, that is the town of basket makers because there were many handicraft activities.