The first hamlets were founded in 1073, but only in 1254 they took the modern name.
Palazzo Materazzi and the ancient part of Capograssi hamlet with San Nicola church and the wonderful Byzantine graveyard are very interesting.
The territory is covered by ilexes.
The most famous event is the feast dedicated to Saint Philippe in May and the feast dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary in August.
Monuments and natural beauties...
- Palazzo Materazzi. It can be visited on request to the owners. It was built in 1694 and is well kept
San Nicola church with graveyard. It was built in 1072, there are frescos of XVI century
San Nicola water-mill, in Capograssi area
The name is formed by the Middle Ages Latin words “serra” (montis), that is mountain or hill side and the adjective “medianus”, that is “median”.
The first hamlets were founded in 1073, but only in 1254 they took the modern name Serramezzana. It developed in XV century when it entered the Barony of Cilento and was given to Capograsso family.
During Norman period Serramezzana had a very organized civic life, where there were rigid rights, for example for the use of mills, for vintage, etc.
In 1574 the feud passed to Nardo Luca Frezza and then to Piccolonimi family; it was then ruled by different families, until 1806 when feudalism was abolished.