The territory is covered by chestnut groves, olive trees, oaks and Mediterranean bush. From San Mauro the panorama is wonderful: the Gulf of Palinuro, Bulgheria Mount, and sometimes Stromboli. This beautiful environment is perfect for walks, rides and trekking.
San Mauro and San Nazario are the Patrons, their churches are really beautiful: they are in late-Baroque style, and have a bell tower. Some basilian monks coming from East founded around year 1000, on Melpi River, the Abbey dedicated to San Nazario. The church has two side naves and a central one, there are paintings portraying the martyrdom of San Nazario.
Sausage festival is very nice (August).
Monuments and natural beauties...
- Santa Eufemia Church
Madonna delle Grazie Chapel
San Costantino Martire Chapel
Santa Reparata Chapel
Santa Maria Chapel
Santa Sofia Chapel
S. Rocco Chapel
San Mauro Church, of late-Baroque style, with bell tower, from there the Gulf of Palinuro can be admired
San Nazario Church. Some basilian monks coming from East, founded around year 1000, on Melpi River, the Abbey dedicated to San Nazario. The church has two side naves and a central one, there are paintings portraying the martyrdom of San Nazario
Palazzo De Cusatis
The name comes from the Patron, Abbot Mauro, who lived during Saint Benedict time. Maybe Bruca is of Greek origin.
The church dedicated to the Saint and the town was maybe founded around 1044; in this period also the basilian abbey of San Nazario was restructured by Montecassino Abbot, the Benedictine Richerio.
The origins of San Mauro La Bruca are not certain. In XIII century the town belonged to the Order of Malta. The knights ruled the town and were opposed by the bishops of the area.
In 1465 the feud belonged to Antonello De Petruciis, prime minister of king Ferrante, together with other feuds that formed Policastro county. In the following centuries the county was ruled by different feudatories.