In the past its name was Sala di Gioi. The town is situated on a hill that dominates the valley crossed by Alento River. The landscape is wild and beautiful.
On the territory there are ancient farmhouses, today used as cattle shed and barns.
The narrow streets with their portals are very picturesque.
This town is very silent and quiet, far from the noise of the valley. In fact it is usually called “the quiet town”.
Santa Barbara Church is very interesting. The style is Baroque, and it is like the style used in the churches of the province of Naples in the second half of 1700. There are three naves. The bell tower with the clock is really beautiful. Inside there is an organ made by Neapolitan school in 1846.
The feast dedicated to Santa Barbara, the Patron, is very interesting; it is celebrated on 29th July and 4th December. The feast on 29th July was instituted after the Second World War to thank the Saint because she had protected the town from a terrible bombing in the night of 29th July 1943. Each year, on 29th July, at 3 a.m. (the time of the bombing) some shots are fired to recall that episode.
Monuments and natural beauties...
Palazzo Bammacaro. It is one of the most ancient building of the town, it is very elegant
Santa Barbara Church is very interesting. The style is Baroque, and it is like the style used in the churches of the province of Naples in the second half of 1700. There are three naves. The bell tower with the clock is really beautiful. Inside there is an organ made by Neapolitan school in 1846
Pietra marmoreal (a marble stone), of 1935, that recalls the sanctions against Italy. It was a typical fascist object. After the fall of Fascism the stone was removed and kept by two inhabitants that then put it back at its place
Steam mill, it is the only steam mill in the province of Salerno according to a document of 1879
Ruins of the Longobard community of La Sala, called San Basile
Palazzo Parrillo and Scarpa
Madonna di Loreto Church, with ancient statues and frescoes
Tempetella, a panoramic area from where it is possible to admire the wonderful landscapes among Parco Nazionale del Cilento, Vallo di Diano and the sea
Sala was first mentioned in a document kept in the Abbey of Cava dei Tirreni of 1043. It was founded by Longobards.
In this area there were the Basilian monks, in fact there is an area called "San Basilio". In the past its name was Sala di Gioi. It was called “Sala maior” to distinguish it from “Sala minor”, the ancient “Salella”, a hamlet in the territory of Gioi.
The town underwent all the most negative consequences of Vespro war between Angevins and Aragons (1282-1302).
The most important family to rule Sala was the baronial family Bammacaro that had bought the feud of Sala di Gioi.
In 1806 feudalism was abolished and Sala became an autonomous municipality, it refused to be united to Gioi in 1861.
In 1800 middle class became really powerful and in the French decade (1806-1815) they obtained many state and ecclesiastical lands, becoming the real master of the town.
Farmers rebelled against middle class because they didn’t obtain any lands, for example on 2nd April 1848 they occupied the lands in the feud of San Basilio.
With a royal decree on 26th March 1863, the name of the town was changed in Salento.