Monuments and natural beauties...

  • San Silvestro Papa Church, built in XVII century, in Baroque style. On the walls of the bell tower there are three clay statues (called muòcci) portraying San Silvester, the flagellated Christ and Saint Nicholas, maybe made in XIV century, but restructured during Renaissance period. The three naves are decorated with stuccoes, there are ten side altars and two chapels
    Sant’Antonio Church, on the parvis there is a cross of 1601 and the bell tower was built in XI century. It's on three floors, the last has a conical shape
    Sacco Vecchia Church, near this church there are ceramic and brick materials. They testify the presence of an ancient community that maybe lived between IV and III century b.C.
    Museo dell’arte artigiana originale e della storia, a handicraft museum founded by the cabinet-maker Francesco Coccaro in 1986. The museum presents his works. They portray the most important moments of humankind’s life: some biblical episodes, the scientific discoveries, Esopo’s fairy tales, Christian religion episodes, etc.
    Grotta Grande di Sacco or Grotta di Jacopo, a cave inhabited during Bronze Age


Maybe Sacco was founded in VIII century by the inhabitants of Casal Vecchio, the seat of the dukes of Benevento. The name perhaps comes from the inaccessible position of its castle (from the Latin saccus, that is with no exit). It could also come from the name of a person, Saccia, the wife of one of the Samnite dukes. There was a fortified castle in Sacco, as some ruins of the walls, of a tower and of a structure probably used for a religious cult testify. They are on a rocky area of Motola Mount.

In this area some Greek monks came to live. They settled around San Nicola Church, called according a local tradition, Zatalampe, a Greek-Byzantine term meaning "I'm looking for a light". Longobards arrived in the VII century and they built a castle on a hill near Sammaro River to defend the mountain pass, today called "del Corticato" that links Valle del Calore to that of Tanagro River in Vallo di Diano.

In X century around the castle there was an active community that started to become depopulated at the beginning of XIV century when Aragons invaded the area during the war of Vespro (1282 - 1302). The new Sacco returned to life as the old one was abandoned. The new Sacco was first mentioned in 1269 when the ruler of Sacco was Nicola di Sacco. At the end of XIV century the feud was ruled by the Count of Capaccio, Guglielmo di Sanseverino.

In 1487 king Ferrante sold the feud to his counsellor Camillo Scorciati di Castelluccia. In 1607 the feud was owned by Fabrizio Lanario that sold it to Pasquale Caputo for 16.000 ducats. He then sold the feud to Vincenzo Carafa for 17.000 ducats. In 1613 Giovan Francesco de Juliis bought Sacco from Carafa family for 15.000 ducats, he then sold it to Scipione Villano for 13.000 ducats. In 1656 there was a terrible plague that killed people from 130 families (the families were 187). The inhabitants tried to obtain the help of Our Lady making offerings to the Church but the plague couldn’t be stopped. The son of Scipione Villano, Pasquale Emanuele, obtained the registration of Roscigno, becoming its duke and of Sacco on the 15th November 1790. He didn’t have heirs and the feud went to Albito Carafa family whose last exponent was Eleonora Albito Carafa who married the nobleman Giovan Battista Gattola di Martino, from Gaeta. Their primogenitor Paolo Maria obtained his mother's title. He had only three daughters. Sacco took part to the Italian Risorgimento.




Weather forecast