Monuments and natural beauties...

  • San Nicola di Mira Church, the church has three naves, the apse is rectangular and there is a precious wood chorus (1739)
    Sant’Anna Church
    Santa Maria dei Martiri Church
    Grava di Vesalo, where Milenzio stream disappears in the ground after a fall 100 m high
    Affondatore di Vallivona, a karstic pit
    Cascata dello Scanno del Fuoco, a fall
    Grottaferrata Sanctuary is very interesting: there is a precious wood Renaissance Crucifix and a very ancient statue portraying Our Lady with the Child, similar to the image of Hera Argiva (they both hold a pomegranate in a hand). Only ruins remain of the ancient monastery: ruins of the walls, of the cloister and of gardens. The plan is octagonal and there are ten altars
    San Giovanni Battista Church, there are five altars, the main altar is made of marble. There is a walnut chorus


The name Rofrano comes from the phrase “da un altro luogo” (from another place): maybe it refers to the ancient Rufra or Rofrio mentioned by writers of the past, for example Virgil in the Aeneid.
Maybe the town was founded around year 1000 by basilian monks. The most important element of this town was the basilica, situated on the top of a hillock, around which the town developed.
During Middle Ages the town was protected by strong walls, with three entrances: Porta S. Antuono, with a cylindrical tower, Porta Vallone and Porta del Leccio. On S. Antuono entrance there is a stone with the names of the officials from Rofrano that took part to the second crusade.
In 1275 the town was called Castrum, that is a fortified place.




Weather forecast