Monuments and natural beauties...

  • Fistelia excavations are very interesting, this area was inhabited in V century b.C. as a tomb with a rich outfit and two bronze pots show. There is also a shrine.
    This place was very prosperous in fact many jewels (rings, bracelets, necklaces) were found. There are also the ruins of villas built during imperial age, so the area was very rich and developed. These houses were very important, and surely belonged to the most important people of the community
    San Giovanni Battista Church, built in XVI century
    Madonna del Rosario Church, built in 1571, where there is a wonderful statue of Santa Maria Greca
    Palazzo La Quercia; Balbi and De Curtis with a stone portal
    Ruins of Sanseverino castle of XIV century with a small chapel dedicated to the Vergine Gloriosa, who gave the name to the town. Today the ruins of the walls and the subterranean cistern can be seen
    Antiquarium
    San Mercurio Monastery, founded in IX-X century
    Ruins of Santa Maria La Greca Church, probably founded around 700 a. C.
    San Nicola di Bari Church, built during Renaissance

History...

The origins of Roccagloriosa are very ancient, it was inhabited during Bronze Age. Many populations lived in this territory: Enotri, Morgeti, Osci. The most important community was that of Lucani (V-IV sec. b.C.).
Sybarites founded the ancient Leo (Orbitania for Romans) between IV-V sec. b. C.
During the Punic wars Orbitania supported Carthage and Romans punished it destroying everything.
In the last years of Roman empire, a military camp was created in this town by general Stilicone. This is why the town was called Stilicona.
In 412 the town was founded again by Stilitani and Bulgarians. To celebrate this event a castle on the top of the mountain was built, surrounded by walls that protected also the houses. On the castle a chapel dedicated to Our Lady, called "Gloriosa", was built: the name became Roccagloriosa.
The town was destroyed again in 537 a.C. by Belisario, a general of emperor Giustianiano.
In 1269 Ruggiero d’Apolla ruled the feud, that then passed to Sanseverino.
In 1512, in July, Roccagloriosa was destroyed by the pirate Dragut Bassa.
In 1806 it was attacked by French army that burnt it.

 

Video

 

Weather forecast