Monuments and natural beauties...

  • Capano castle is very interesting, it was built in 1290. The tower has a square plant, with three floors, and dominates the town. According to an oral tradition, Sant’Alfonso De’ Liguori stayed several times in this castle. One of the rooms in the castle is called "Sant'Alfonso room"
    Santa Maria delle Grazie Monastery (1610). The church, with an only nave, decorated with stuccoes, has four altars; three of them are surmounted by the emblem of Capano family. On the altars at the entrance there are interesting paintings by Malinconico (1673-1721), a follower of Luca Giordano. On the ceiling with the caissons, by Giuseppe Marrocco da Celso, there is a painting by Matteo Cilento portraying Our Lady of the Assumption. The XVIII century wood chorus, the organ, the sacristy are really beautiful
    San Pietro Church, the most ancient of the town, built in 1524. The small church is now deconsecrated. It is very picturesque even if simple. In the church there is a wonderful altar with polychrome marbles
    Palazzo Vinciprova, a Baroque building with towers, seat of Museo Vivo del Mare
    Palazzo Mazziotti, Amoresano and Galdi
    Franciscan monastery
    Madonna di Costantinopoli monastery
    San Nicola Church of XVII century. The external part is simple, inside there is a beautiful altar covered with polychrome marbles. The ceiling is covered by paintings by Matteo Cilento; there is also an ancient pipe organ
    Annunziata Church
    Madonna del Carmine Church of X century
    Assunta Church
    San Martino Church
    San Rocco Church
    Madonna del Soccorso Chapel
    San Rocco Chapel
    Monte Stella hamlet
    San Zaccaria wood

History...

The name has a Greek origin, “pollai oikiai”, that is “many houses”.
The town was first mentioned in a document of 1113 that was about the cession of some properties of that area from Torgisio II Sanseverino to the Abbey of Cava.
At the end of XIII century the town belonged to D’Alemagna family that sold it to Capano, from Rocca Cilento. They had it until 1795 when the feud passed to De Liguoro family that ruled it until the abolishment of feudalism (1806).

 

Video

 
 

Weather forecast