Monuments and natural beauties...

  • Archaeological sites surrounded by walls with towers. The area was maybe divided in three sections. Two of them were real towns, with a military port, the agora, the thermal baths, a sanctuary and an acropolis. A real jewel is Porta Rosa, a stone round arch of Greek architecture, of the first half of IV century b.C. In these sites many sculptures, mosaics, decorations, ceramics and coins were found. All these finds show that this was a rich town
    Palazzo Cocelli with two entrance portals
    Santa Maria dei Longobardi Church, with a wood ceiling and precious paintings. There is a wood statue dedicated to Santa Margherita and another portraying the Annunciation
    San Rocco Chapel
    Ruins of a Middle Ages castle
    Santa Maria dei Greci Church
    San Pietro in Vincoli Chapel
    San Nicola di Bari Chapel
    San Bartolomeo Church
    The Episcopal palace
    Angevin tower
    Ruins of San Giorgio Church with a monastery, built around a central pit. On the south of the church there was Porta San Giorgio, that together with Porta Longobardi, was one of the entrances of the town. During the restoration of the church some murals were found
    Madonna di Novi Velia Church, at the top of Gelbison or Sacro Mount. In Arabian Gelbison means Montagna dell’Idolo (mountain of the idol) because this mountain has always been a sacred place, even before the monks built this sanctuary. The church was founded in 1323. According to a legend, when the works stopped for some days, all the building already made was found destroyed by workers when they went on that place to work. A night the workers went on that place to look for a lost lamb and Our Lady appeared and told them that she wanted a Chapel dedicated to the Angels in that place. The panorama from the sanctuary is really beautiful
    Fiumefreddo spring, there is an image of Our Lady where water is fresh and transparent
    Monti di Pietà, two small mountains made of stones with a cross on the top
    Ruins of Celestini Abbey, built in XIV century


The name of the town was Novi until 1862 when, after the Unity of Italy, Velia was added because there was the belief that the inhabitants of the Roman town Velia, escaping from Vandals, had founded a town where now Novi Velia is.
The town is very rich of story and monuments. The origins are very ancient: it was founded by Elea, in 540 b.C. Maybe this town was a fortified village during Enotri time, a population from Peloponnesus. During Roman age it became a Roman municipality.
Novi was first mentioned in a document of 1005 with which Guaimario IV, prince of Salerno, donated his lands to Luca, abbot of Santa Barbara monastery, situated in “de Nobe” territory.
Normans chose Novi as the seat of the Barony. In 1200 it was ruled by many feudatories.
In 1806 Novi was occupied by French soldiers that made a lot of abuses. In 1820 there was the beginning of rebellions against the Monarchy.
In 1848 many inhabitants took part to the rebellions. Brigandage developed on the territory.




Weather forecast