Monuments and natural beauties...

  • Palazzo Cera, Focaccia, Funicello, Piccirilli, Rossi, Del Mastro, Mazzarella, Tarallo, Sorrentini, Landulfo, De Feo, Greco, Verta, Marchesano (where the Museo della Civiltà Contadina is)
    Santa Maria dell’Olmo Church
    San Biagio Church, it was built in XVI century and has only a nave, with a barrel – vault. The façade has four pilaster strips and a tympanum. In the church there is a painting portraying Saint Martin and Our Lady with the restless souls. There are also some paintings by Matteo Cilento (1829-1916), a very good painter-carver born in San Mauro Cilento. His paintings are also in the surrounding towns
    Sant’Antonio Abate Chapel. The façade has four pilaster strips and a tympanum
    Santa Sofia Chapel. It was founded by Longobards and it is the most ancient monument of the town
    Arena Tower
    San Pietro Apostolo Church
    Madonna dell’Assunta Church
    Santa Lucia Church
    San Giacomo Chapel
    San Francesco Borgia Church
    Sant’Antonio di Padova Church
    San Pasquale Church
    Immacolata Chapel built in 1700
    San Nicola Chapel
    San Donato rocky chapel
    San Luigi Chapel, in the noble palace of Piccirilli family
    Santa Maria Delle Grazie Chapel. There is a small nice portico
    San Salvatore di Socia Church, with three naves, a bell tower and the facade with pilaster strips
    Madonna del Fiume Chapel ruins
    Sant’Angelo Benedictine monastery
    Water-mill of XVIII century
    Wind-mill built at the beginning of XX century. The walls and some machines are well kept
    Roviscelli hamlet, the most ancient inhabited part of Montecorice. Near this area there is a XVII century farmhouse
    Farmhouses, called “passoláre”, used to dry figs
    “Palmenti”, big stone vats of XVIII century, some of them are entirely carved in the rock. They were used for the squeezing of grapevine and were used by the whole population
    Agnone Cilento hamlet. A sea hamlet with Carmine church and a stone arch with a sighting tower
    Ripe Rosse, Aleppo pines wood

History...

The modern name indicates the inhabited part of the town, while in the past it was the name of a hamlet, that is a large and economically independent area that included the whole valley of Roviscelli stream, developed around Sant’Angelo Church: this area was called Montecorice.
The first mention of a village called Montecorice was in 1062. Montecorice belonged then to the Barony of Cilento. When the Barony became a feud of Sanseverino family, they donated some lands of Montecorice territory to the Abbey of Cava that had a certain power on this area.
The feud returned to be autonomous after the rebellion of Ferrante Sanseverino (1552), when the villages included in the Barony were sold by the Court in 1153. Then Montecorice and Rocca passed to Giordano family, that in 1699 obtained the title of dukes. They ruled this territory until 1806, when feudalism disappeared. In 1806 Montecorice became a hamlet of Ortodonico that was the chief town until 1927 when after a popular rebellion the seat of the town hall passed to Montecorice.


 

Video

 

Weather forecast