Monuments and natural beauties...

  • Capuchin Monastery. There is a Baroque altar made of walnut, wood statues made between 1500 and 1800 and paintings of 1500/1600
    Palazzo Lupo (built at the end of XIII century) and Rinaldi, with a bell tower of 893. In 1814 the king of Naples stayed there (he was brother in law of Napoleon); Gioacchino Murat came to this area to control the defensive towers and make them stronger
    Grotta Azzurra, a cave. It is attainable only by sea. The cave is blue thanks to a siphon (20 m deep) that makes sunlight pass
    Sulphurous cave Calafetente. The name comes from the sulphurous exhalations. The cave has the shape of an amphitheatre. Along the entrance tunnel there are some kinds of corals, never living in this part of Mediterranean Sea. In some parts of the caves there are toxic gases
    Natural arch, at the mouth of Mingardo River in a beautiful creek, between two beaches
    Grotta d’argento, a cave. It is called “d’argento” (silver) because of the colour of the water
    Grotta dei Monaci, a cave. It is called “dei Monaci” (of friars) because there are some stalagmites having the shape and the colour (brown) of monks in prayer
    Grotta delle Ossa or Preistorica. Inside there are the bones of prehistoric animals
    Grotte del Ribalto and del Buon Dormire, two caves
    Scoglio del Coniglio, a cliff
    Towers on the coast built between 1550 and 1600
    Fortresses
    Molpa Castle, with sighting towers, a courtyard surrounded by walls, stone portal
    Villa Stanziola
    Ruins of San Giuliano Church of 1100
    San Nicola di Mira church is a very interesting church, it is in Baroque style and was inaugurated in 1617. Inside there is a silver cross of 1458 and beautiful XVII century stuccoes
    Palinuro archaeological site where there were many objects from Palaeolithic and Neolithic age until Hellenistic Age. The most part of these objects are still in the ground
    Middle Ages village in San Severino hamlet. Going up Mingardo River (that created many charming gorges), visitors arrive to the ancient part of the town, abandoned because of a landslip
    Santa Maria degli Angeli Church

Storia...

After the fall of Western Roman Empire (476 d.C.), Ostrogoths occupied the town called Molpa. The Eastern emperor Giustiniano wanted to send away this barbaric population, so he sent in Italy the general Belisario. He arrived in 547 to turn out Ostrogoths but he sacked the town and burnt it, destroying everything and making the inhabitants escape. One hundred inhabitants arrived to the hills and settled at the feet of Fontanelle mountain, in a safe place, called Vallone. The place was called Centula, because the founders were one hundred (cento).
Centola was dominated by Longobards, Normans, Svevians, Angevins, Aragons, Bourbon family.
During Longobard period Centola developed.
Around 1250, during Svevian period, Centola became a Universitas, that is a Municipality.
In 1828 the inhabitants of Centola took part to the rebellion of Cilento of 27th /28th June 1828.
The rebels went to Palinuro because they knew they would have found 1500 guns, 12 cannons and munitions. But Bourbons had been alerted about their arrival and the rebels didn't find anything in the arsenal. The rebels read “Il Proclama di Palinuro”, a manifesto in which they asked for a constitution that would give freedom and social justice to everyone.
The rebellion didn’t succeed, it was violently repressed by Marshal Del Carretto, sent by King Francesco I.


 

Video

 

Weather forecast