The town today keeps the ancient town structure and there are recently restructured architectonical buildings, built in XIV and XV century. It was founded by Guglielmo Sanseverino, ruler of Padula, Sanza and Policastro, on 2nd November 1333.
Santa Maria degli Angeli chapel is very interesting; it was built in 1703 and has a square plan with a two-floor portico. Inside there is an altar. This chapel is a small jewel of Baroque architecture of Vallo di Diano. The façade is really elegant, inside there are precious frescos and Baroque stuccoes. “Nunnefakundo: un viaggio tra i suoni e le culture del Sud” is a very nice music event dedicated to South, in July and “Cuccia" festival (cooked legumes with boiled cereals) in August is very nice, too.
Monuments and natural beauties...
- Santissima Annunziata Church, with two entrances, a front and a side door. The side door has a finely worked stone portal in Baroque style. The church has only a nave on a rectangular shape. The apse is semicircular and sided by chapels. There is a beautiful icon, called "cona", it is made of wood and portrays the Annunciation. This work of art has been recently attributed to Giacomo Colombo, a famous carver who lived between 1600 and ‘700. There is also a wood statue of the Immaculate Conception by him. A shrine with niches contains busts of Saints with their relics. One of the niche contains the statue of Saint Elias
- Santa Maria degli Angeli Chapel is very interesting; it was built in 1703 and has a square plan with a two-floor portico. Inside there is an altar. This chapel is a small jewel of Baroque architecture of Vallo di Diano. The façade is really elegant, inside there are precious frescos and Baroque stuccoes
- San Domenico Chapel, with a XVIII century wood crucifix. The floor is in the local decorative tradition, the same of Padula Charterhouse
- Palazzi Picinni Leopardi, Iannicelli, Donna Diana, De Martino and Radice
- Grancia certosina, a rich palace of which a small courtyard, the staircase and some stone ruins, like the portals, remain. It was inhabited by those who administered the economic resources of Padula Charterhouse
- San Donato Fountain of 1545
- Cross at SS. Trinità crossroads
- Madonna del Carmelo Sanctuary
- Santa Maria di Costantinopoli Church
- San Gaetano Church
- Sant’Antonio Church
- San Biagio Church
- Calvario Church
- a naturalistic area with oaks, Turkey oaks, elms, wild boars, foxes, crows, etc.
With a notary act the areas of Peglio or Galdo rivers were given to three citizens from Casalbuono (Giovanni De Gemma, Nicola or Cola di Filippo and Ruggiero De Bona) for ten years. These areas were called Buonabitacolo.
The name was chosen because of the good climate and position, because it was far from the infected marshes of Vallo di Diano. Buonabitacolo was ruled by Sanseverino family. In 1505 it was given by King Ferdinando il Cattolico to the nobleman Antonio De Cardona, then it passed to Nicola Grimaldi, prince of Salerno and then to D’Avalos and De Ponte families.
On 23rd September 1645 Padula and Buonabitacolo were sold to the Charterhouse of Padula.