Monuments and natural beauties...

  • Palazzo Speranza, with a central courtyard, and Palazzo Novelli, built at the beginning of 1700, the portal is in decorated stone. During the period of brigandage this palace was the seat of the municipality
    San Nicola di Mira Church. Inside there are some beautiful and precious statues portraying the saints venerated in the town and a stoup made in calcareous stone, built at the beginning of 1500. The statue of the Saint is beautiful with the colours (green and red) of the clothes and some elements very well portrayed, for example the book and the crosier


The origin of the name, Alfano, is not certain. Maybe it comes from the noble name, Alfius. According to some historians, the name means “without light” (from the Greek aphanés), because of the position of the town, that is under a hill. There aren't many details about the story of the town.
It was mentioned in the Angevin Records that described this place as a village whose inhabitants had hidden three fires for which they had to pay a fee.
On 4th February 1496 King Ferrante II gave to Giovanni Caraffa, a nobleman from Naples, the territory of Alfano.
In 1588 Alfano was bought by Paolo Brancaccio. In 1669 it belonged to G. Andrea Bernalla. Some inhabitants of Alfano died during Risorgimento.




Weather forecast