Albanella has a great position between the sea and the Alburni Mountains. Its valley is characterised by the different shades of green: that of the cultivated lands, of olive trees, of orchards and vineyards, of oaks. For this wonderful landscape Albanella is a nice holiday resort. Albanella is made of different hamlets that surround the centre of the town.
It was founded in XI century a.C. when the inhabitants of Paestum moved on the hills to escape from malarial fever and Saracen invasion. The territory is rich of parks and woods, for example Parco della Giunta di Sele e Calore, and the park of Cosa River. Along the river some rare animals live. Then there is a hill, Collina della Difesa Ciglio, covered by pines.
Santa Sofia, the Patron, church is very interesting, her feast is on May, the 15th. It was built in 1500 on a longitudinal plan with three naves and a pronaos. Inside the church there is an ancient pipe-organ still functioning and the statue of the Saint. The olive oil festival is very nice, it is in December.
Monuments and natural beauties...
- San Matteo Church, built at the beginning of XV century, it has a rectangular shape with two naves and an organ. The bell tower is Romanic, decorated with polychrome moulding
Santa Sofia, the Patron, Church, built in 1500 on a longitudinal plan with three naves and a pronaos. Inside the church there is an ancient pipe-organ still functioning and the statue of the Saint
Carmine Church, on the external façade there is a painting portraying Our Lady with the Holy Child and two hooded people kneeling.
Giovanni Albini Palace of 1800
Cerrina Area – Baptismal font. The century of ancient baptismal font, recently found, has not been identified WWf Oasis of Camerine Wood
The name comes from Alba that is white and tall and Ella, hellas, that is the Greek word for Greece. Albanella was founded by the inhabitants of Paestum that moved on the hills around IX century, to escape from Saracen invasion. Some finely frescoed tombs of V century b.C. were found in the area testifying the presence of a Greek well organised community which practised a well developed agriculture.
Recently the ruins of a rural sanctuary have been found in San Nicola. This sanctuary where small votive statues were found makes scholars think that in Albanella there was the cult of Demetra and Kore, two goddesses, mother and daughter, linked to fertility of lands and feminine fecundity. Some years ago the ruins of a farm of III century b.C. were found. A coin of Emperor Aurelio (270 - 275 d.C.) was found, too and it testifies that the area was inhabited until late Roman age. In the archives in Cava there is no information about Albanella during Longobard, Norman and Svevian ages.
In Angevin records there are the names of the feudatories that ruled the territory. The most ancient document is about Capaccio Conspiracy of 1266. Albanella, like other feuds, was ruled by many different families: the most important rulers were Pietro Ruggio, Roberto and Bertrando Sanseverino. Albanella belonged to Fasanella barony. From Lampo di Fasanella, the Barony passed to his son Tancredi, Tancredi gave it to his daughter Filippa who married Riccardo Francesco from Fasanella, bringing as a marriage settlement the part of the barony including Albanella. These goods were confiscated because Riccardo Francesco took part to Capaccio Conspiracy against Federico II. When Riccardo Francesco died, Filippa who was in exile, married Gilberto di Fasanella and Albanella was given by the king to Riccardo, a cousin of Filippa. Riccardo didn’t have heirs, so when he died the feud passed to Count Giordano.
Then Carlo I d’Angiò gave the feud back to Gilberto di Fasanella. Other feudatories of Albanella were: Giovanni di Montenegro, lord of Corneto and Rocca dell’Aspro; Francesco d’Urso; Roberto Sanseverino, count of Caiazzo, who donated the feud, with the consent of the king, in 1484, to his son Giovan Francesco. The feud included also Felitto, Roscigno, Serre, Campora and Persano. During Risorgimento Albanella took part to the patriotic actions together with Capaccio, Trentinara, Giungano and Roccadaspide.